Dusty Hill, bassist for ZZ Top for their entire 50 plus year career, has died at age 72.
Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard issued a statement that says, “We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston. We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the ‘Top’. We will forever be connected to that ‘Blues Shuffle in C.’ You will be missed greatly, amigo.”
Hill left the band’s tour on Friday to head back to Texas to deal with a hip issue.
- Dusty Hill was born May 19th, 1949 in Dallas.
- He and his late brother Rocky played in a series of Dallas bands with future ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard from 1966 to 1968.
- Hill and Beard moved to Houston in 1969 and teamed up with Billy Gibbons to start ZZ Top.
- The group released 15 studio albums over 50 years together, the biggest being 1983’s Eliminator, which sold over 10-million copies.
- ZZ Top were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.
(SOURCE: Premiere Classic Daily)